Friday, December 3, 2010

Rangers game, Thanksgiving, Bob Dylan, and In the Heights

                                                  RANGERS VS PENGUINS- MSG
It always amazes me how there can be a hockey game, a basket ball game, and a concert with in 48 hours at the Garden. They want to build a glass walkway inside the garden over the court. Hmmmm, imagine a fight in a glass hallway over a sporting event- awesome. Anyway, the Penguins won and there were two fights. I don’t know much about hockey.  This was my dude’s present to himself for his birthday. I had cotton candy.


THANKSGIVING- BUSHWICK
My dude (Q) and I have been having Thanksgiving with our New York fam. for seven years. The first year was in Sunnyside, Queens. The rest have been in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
Here are the credits:
Ryan and Yuko- 24 hour brining of the 20 pound turkey and pie
Good Luck and pastry chef- potatoes
Rodney and Monica- pie and the Call for the Wu
Ramz- RIBS
Mike- Coquito
Q- turkey, stuffing, gravy, corn, biscuits, cranberries
Me- um, green beans
I am thankful for my fam..........
that's coquito on the floor

BOB DYLAN- THE NEVER ENDING TOUR, Terminal 5
I got these tickets for Q’s birthday. I was massively excited to see Bob Dylan so maybe it was really a present for me. Terminal 5 is just a giant open venue with three levels, so you have to get there early if you want to see. We got there sort of early, and my visibility conditions were fair. Q’s a giant, so he’s always fine. The crowd was pretty lame. The scene was the typical New York jaded- I’m gonna criticize everything- Man, do you realize how much I know about music? crowd. As soon as Dylan and his band came on stage, though everything around me faded away. The show was just brilliant.. Dylan played a lot of songs from his last two albums and a few classics. His band was sick.  His arrangements were bluesy. He played straight through a two hour set. That’s such a long set for an old dude!  That's such a long set for anyone. He did a three-song encore: Joline, Rolling Stone, and All Along the Watchtower. I was so happy.

 IN THE HEIGHTS- Richard Rogers Theater
So I’m not big on musicals, but this show is not your average musical. It’s about life in Washington Heights (which I like to call the Dominican Republic).  It’s set in modern times and there are lots of inside New York jokes. The narrator rhymes more than he sings and the dancing is hip-hop and salsa. “In the Heights” is closing soon, so go see it if you can. And for those of you not in the city, there are always tours and there will be a movie made soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment